Tuesday, November 16, 2004

10th September 2004 03:05am GMT (Australian Embassy attacked by terrorists in Jarkata)

Some people ask me: do I really hate Singapore that much to want to leave it so eagerly? Right… let’s put some things straight: I don’t hate the country, I know that our odd ball policies are all geared toward the sake of national progress (banning of chewing gum and all) and I love all my friends who are here. What I don’t particularly enjoy is the simple culture that we practice, the work-till-you-drop and life-is-all-about-material-gains-idea. I suck at speaking our local languages and I can see my future being reduced to Sundays with the family and a busy work week throughout. Someone once told me that life is about strolling through hilly terrain. For the first 40 years of your life, you climb up-hill, things are more difficult, you slog harder but you make your moolah. But after that, you walk easily down-hill, you retire on your savings, finally take your break and go traveling, or buy that Ferrari, or whatever.

Dude, this is not the kind of life I’m very much excited about. Why walk around hilly terrain when you can zoom about in a moped?

No comments: