Tuesday, November 16, 2004

20th September 2004 1636pm GMT (Media Corporation merges with Singapore Press Holdings)

(I have since had an "update" of political views, please go to www.fivestarsandamoon.com for further reading) 

First things first. Before I update you about the visa application, I want to give my own 2 cents worth about this stupid merger between MediaCorp and SPH. Does anyone really believe that an ad-filled tabloid like Streats be making a loss of S$5million a year? Look at all those medias, do you really think that they’ll allow making even S$2million loss go through? Can you guys recall a (now defunct) daily tabloid loosely named “Project Eyeball”? She never made it through the first 4 months of printing, do you think these guys would let a paper make a loss of S$5million every year for 4 years?
I mean, come on… not enough market for two media giants? Then why, for my grandma’s sakes, did they say that there is “enough business for all” when they deregulated the media industry?!?!

The Prime Minister quoted that this merger was “inevitable”, I think so too. Except that I feel that this is to make media regulation, censorship and control a lot easier for the MITA. So that the daily mush can be fed to Singaporeans… you know, the same old stuff about the world being a dangerous place, Singapore is the safest there ever is… life is so comfortable here, you shouldn’t be going anywhere else…blah, blah, blah…
Look at the headlines: Singaporean gets shot in Johor Bahru, Singaporean drowns in Thailand, Disaster all over the world….and the Home pages? CNB successfully nabs drug lord at borders. Wild python caught and turned over to the zoo.
Yes, all this news is real, but you can tailor the truth can’t you? I can tell you all the good things that I’ve done in my resume and sweep all the ugly facts under the rug.
Oh well, just my own thoughts… DO NOT quote me, I’m just free expressing. Lest I get hunted by the Internal Security Department. Ha, ha…c’mon guys! I love Singapore!!

Ok, back to the visa… I applied it… what, last Friday? So now I’m expected to wait. Today I’ve got a call from the British Consulate, asking for proof of my income and finances, I gave them what they wanted and I’m back in the waiting game again…

Keep tuned guys! News is waiting yet….

No comments: